Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What I've Learned!

What an exciting time creating and making my jewelry with my mind flowing with ideas and notebooks filled with doodles of the pieces that will be made. Mental clocks turning with creativity in my own space....so I thought.  Well for one the husband is not quite as thrilled as I am of my passion for art.  Although he supports me as much as he tries to, the doubt is there.  Will she actually sell anything?  Well I can't blame him.  He does have a point when I spend countless hours (until the kids are back from school) creating and enjoying the art of it all.  But I ask myself the same question, when will I sell my jewelry?

This is where myth meets reality.  All that work just making a piece of jewelry isn't enough.  There's taking the "perfect" picture, the hours of transforming the pictures you took to the right size and kb.  The description, which of course needs to be not only specific but inviting, don't forget measuring the piece.  And last but not least, promoting the items.  With money that you don't have and time that you don't have, research that hasn't been done, needs to be done, and will eventually catch up with you!  These are troubling times, I understand of the whole market and people are struggling with selling items online and in markets or fairs.  The thought of paying more for a handmade item has a long way to go.  I for one should have known. I can't wait a week to buy a pair of earrings, since I'm always on the go....not only will the same one's I'm wearing work all kinds of outfits, but do I really intend to look through 4,166,753 items, currently the number of jewelry items on Etsy! NO! So where has all this left me....on to this blog.

Rule number 1: Don't be too quick to jump on the wagon! There are many great places for selling handmade items, but you still have to work, and hard at it, to sell your own items.

Rule number 2: Do your homework.  It might seem like a good idea at first, but there are fees that need to be paid on certain websites that will take more of your money than they deliver.

Rule number 3: It's never as Easy as 1, 2, 3. Lots of pictures, shows, descriptions, money...you get the idea. Hard work is always involved.  There are the exceptions of course.  I find it hard to see some of the things that sell!!!

Rule number 4: It's always great to get support.  From family, friends, blogs, twitter, facebook...a little encouragement goes a long way...even when things aren't really going your way.

Rule number 5: Know when you need to give up. "Never give up" is only used when the effort is not coming out of your pocket.  It's hard, but it's harder to invest in something that doesn't give.  You could always have a side hobby that will entertain you. 

Rule number 6: There is a way to get back in the game, as long as you understand rules 1 to 5.  Why? Because you've done what you need to succeed. 

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment